Lion’s Mane Crab Cakes (Old Bay) Vegan and Vegetarian
Lion’s Mane Crab Cakes Recipe (Old Bay) Vegan and Vegetarian
Super easy and great for Vegans and Vegetarians. You won't believe that it isn't crab.
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (vegan mayo)
- 1 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (vegan Worcestershire sauces or coconut amino—See notes)
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning (add ½ more for intense flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 8 oz fresh Lion’s Mane Mushrooms
- 1 small onion-minced
- 1 small red pepper-minced
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Cut off the bottom of the Lion’s Mane where it was attached. It should be a small brown area. Either chop or shred with your fingers into bite sized pieces. Put into a dry pan, one with no oil, at medium heat. Cook until brown, stirring often. Depending on the pan and size of the pieces this takes about 8-12 minutes.
- Mince the onion and red pepper. Sweat them in a pan with a small amount of oil on medium heat. Stir frequently. They are done when the oils are translucent. This will take about 5 minutes.
Mix together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay, and salt in a bowl. Gently combine in the cooked Lion’s Mane, onions, and red pepper. Once combined, slowly stir in the Panko bread crumbs.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or up to one day.
- Preheat a pan to medium heat. Add oil or butter to the pan. Carefully shape 4-5 round cakes with your hands. Be sure to pat them firmly so that they stick together. Place them in the warm pan. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side. They should be nicely browned and warm in the middle.
- Serve warm with a salad.
- Seal any leftovers in a container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Worcestershire sauce is often vegan and you don’t need to buy a special brand. It is also usually soy free. Just check your ingredients. If it says fish try the organic section too see if their brand is vegan.